Over it – with Kristan & Suzanne
Coercion versus persuasion with Tad Hargrave
April 12 2023 – 54 min 38 sec
Tad Hargrave is a hippy who developed a knack for marketing (and then learned to be a hippy again).
Tune in today for a lively discussion on a variety of topics including…
- Coercion versus persuasion.
- Rebellion versus submission.
- Reacting versus responding.
- The vibe chart – how we tend to pendulum between posturing and collapsing (full blog post from Tad here – https://marketingforhippies.com/vibechart/)
- Poem read by Tad during the interview A Ritual to Read Each other – by William Stafford Tad’s Bio… Tad spent his late teens being schooled in a mixed bag of approaches to sales and marketing – some manipulative and some not. When that career ended, he spent a decade unlearning and unpacking what he’d been through. How had he been swept up in it? Why didn’t those approaches work as well as advertised? Were there ways of marketing that both worked better and felt better to all involved?
It took him time but he began to find a better way to market. By 2006, he had become one of the first, full-time ‘conscious business’ marketing coaches (for hippies) and created a business where he could share the understanding he had come to: Marketing could feel good. You didn’t have to choose between marketing that worked (but felt awful) or marketing that felt good (but got you no clients). Since 2001, he has been touring his marketing workshops around Canada, the United States, Europe, and online, bringing refreshing and unorthodox ideas to conscious entrepreneurs and green businesses that help them grow their organizations and businesses (without selling their souls). Instead of charging outrageous amounts, he started doing most of his events on a pay what you can basis. He is the author of sixteen books and workbooks on marketing. Tad currently lives in Edmonton, Alberta (traditionally known, in the local indigenous language of the Cree, as Amiskwaciy (Beaver Hill) and later Amiskwaciwaskihegan (Beaver Hill House)) and his ancestors come primarily from Scotland with some from the Ukraine as well. He is now dedicated to spending the rest of his days preserving and fostering a more deeply respectful, beautiful and human culture.
How to connect with Tad: